Introduction to ETD Submissions
The Catholic University of America requires ETD submission for Doctoral Dissertations only. If you are working on a Master's Thesis or Licentitate degree, you will be submitting a paper copy to the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies, and not following this process.
Overview of the Submission Process
For a presentation showing the step-by-step procedure for submitting your ETD, please click here.
You must schedule a deposit appointment with Mrs. Mary Aquilino, administrator of the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies. This appointment must be made well in advance of the deposit deadline. The final deadlines this academic year (2013-2014) are as follows:
- For Fall Graduation - Friday, September 27, 2013
- For January Graduation - Friday, January 10, 2014
- For Spring Graduation - Friday, May 2, 2014
Please be sure to consult the Doctoral Dissertation Handbook for complete information on the formatting requirements from ProQuest and the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies. The Doctoral Dissertation Handbook is also updated periodically to reflect changes made by ProQuest and the Mullen Library.
Want a quick start, "cheat-sheet" guide to the dissertation writing process? Click here!
Creating an Adobe PDF file:
Combining multiple Word documents into one complete Adobe PDF document:
If your submission consists of multiple documents (such as a Word or WordPerfect file, graphics, spreadhseets, etc.), it is best to consolidate them first in one document, and then print that one document as a PDF document. If you are not able to consolidate the files before creating the PDF file, it is possible to combine the multiple PDF files using the commands in Adobe Acrobat. The administrator of the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies will not be able to make corrections or comments on multiple PDF files, so it is essential to send only one completed file.
- Open the main PDF file in Adobe Acrobat.
- Go to the page where you want to insert the additional page or pages.
- Choose "Insert Pages" from the Document menu.
- Select and open the PDF file that contains the pages to be inserted.
- Verify the settings in the dialog to be sure that you are inserting the pages in the correct location. If the settings are correct, click OK.
For Microsoft Word tutorials, the following versions are available online:
Completing the Submission Process: ETD@CUA and The Survey of Earned Doctorates
As part of the doctoral dissertation deposit, students must complete the ETD@CUA Submission Copyright Statement. This form must be completed by the student before the deposit is considered complete. If you have questions surrounding ETD@CUA, please consult the ETD@CUA website from the Mullen Library.
After the dissertation has been deposited, the student must complete the Survey of Earned Doctorates, which has moved to a fully-online system. All students must complete the SED at https://sed.norc.org/doctorate. This is a requirement for graduation from CUA, and must be completed. If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies.
Frequently Asked Questions on Online Submissions
If you have any further questions concerning online submissions, ProQuest, and ETD@CUA, feel free to look at our Online Doctoral Dissertation Submissions Frequently Asked Questions, or look at the following links:
- The Catholic University of America Copyright Information
- The Catholic University of America Explanation of Licenses and Copyrights
- The ETD@CUA Submission Copyright Statement
- ProQuest Online Submission Frequently Asked Questions
- Copyright and Your Dissertation or Thesis: Ownership, Fair Use, and Your Rights and Responsibilities
- UMI Copyright Booklet
Fax: (202) 319-6174