Graduate Student Worker Opportunity: Office of Career Services
Job Description: This position will report to the Director of Career Services with close connections with the Administrative Assistant.
Call for Applications: 2017 Humanities Without Walls Consortium National Pre-Doctoral Summer Workshop
You are invited to apply for a position in a summer workshop sponsored by The Humanities Without Walls, a consortium of humanities centers and institutes at 15 major research universities throughout the Midwest and beyond. The workshop is for PhD students in humanities disciplines who are are interested in learning about careers outside the academy and/or the tenure track system. All workshop events will take place in Chicago, IL (dates tentatively set at 17 July through 5 August 2017).
- A completed application cover sheet;
- A narrative of no more than 1,000 words explaining the applicant’s intended career trajectory and addressing the following questions:
- Why do you want to attend the workshop?
- What are the most important pieces of information you are seeking?
- A 2-page cv; and
- Two letters of recommendation. One letter should be from the applicant’s primary adviser/dissertation chair; both should emphasize the applicant’s fit for this workshop.
- Additionally, applicants should submit a statement -- no more than 500 words -- explaining the broader value of this workshop to humanities graduate students and outlining how you would share what you learn in the workshop with humanities faculty and graduate students at CUA in Fall 2017. [This additional requirement for the CUA application has been added so that if our representative is chosen to participate in the workshop, that representative will work with Dr. Laura Mayhall, Associate Dean for Graduate Programs & Research in the School of Arts and Sciences, to create further professionalization opportunities for CUA humanities graduate students going forward.]
Fellowship Award: Each fellow will receive a $5,000 stipend intended to cover travel to and from the summer workshop, most meals, and all incidentals. Fellows will be expected to arrange and pay for their own travel using the funds from this stipend. The Chicago Humanities Festival will be arranging housing for all fellows at the DeWitt Place apartments in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood. All fellows will be expected to attend the entire workshop for the entire three weeks.
A link to more information about the workshop and to the application can be found here: http://www.humanitieswi
Deadline: Interested students must submit the application materials listed above to Dr. Mayhall by September 30, 2016. Submissions should be made electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org as a single PDF file attached to an email with the subject line "2017 PreDoc Application."
A committee of faculty from humanities disciplines will choose one application to be submitted to the Workshop by November 1, 2016.
Please direct questions about the program or your application to Dr. Mayhall at email@example.com.
Other Scholarship and Research Opportunities
A comprehensive listed of current scholarship and research opportunities can be found in the Funding and Research Opportunities section of the Graduate Studies website.
Find the Office of the Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies on Facebook and Twitter!
Follow the GradShare blog, "Where graduate students help each other succeed."
Fax: (202) 319-6174